When we think of a diverse office, we think of all races, ages and social classes working towards a common goal. What we don’t often realise is that there’s a second chapter to this story: inclusion. In this article, we’ll be discussing what both terms mean, how they affect the Oliver James Associates’ hiring policy, and why together, they breed happier businesses worldwide.
A diverse workplace can be loosely defined as one that provides equal opportunities to all employees. More specifically, this is the fair treatment of staff, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
An inclusive office embraces the people it hires, and involves them in the conversation. This could be in the literal sense or as a broader means of celebrating its employees. Specialist events, mentoring, HR functions, maternity and paternity schemes, and regular engagement reviews are just some of the ways inclusion can be fostered in the workplace.
Diversity & Inclusion at Oliver James Associates means:
- A five-year plan to achieve a 50:50 gender split
- A monthly D&I panel to review progress
- Male and female interviewers at all stages
- Training on D&I and unconscious bias for every member of staff
- Specialist advert writing tools that check language for discrimination
- Job specifications that merit skill and achievement equally to experience
- Flexibility and part-time hours for working parents
- Annual engagement surveys to track success
- Open-door policy, where you’re encouraged to speak freely
- Taking time to understand and respect client D&I strategies
Why Diversity & Inclusion works
Diversity & Inclusion inspires a more motivated workforce, where different ideas, opinions and values are applied to the day-to-day operations of a business. The more diverse your employees, the more you can create the sense of belonging essential to staff morale. And when different voices aren’t just present but counted, you can leverage them to enjoy truly unparalleled growth.